Wednesday 4 July 2012

European Championships - The Hype, the Sides, the Tops

So, we're all excited about the European Championships, right? Right? Perhaps not. But it certainly isn't a tournament which should be overlooked. In terms of attendance, you're talking just as many as there were at the US Nationals events (I don't have the exact number, but something around 600) so that's rather substantial. A melting pot of cultures also ensures that the meta is far more difficult to predict. I mean sure, you'll likely have a bunch of tier 1 decks--that much people can predict. But who can predict the so-called secret sides that the brighter amongst us come up with for these tournaments--and that, say, all of Italy or France or Spain know about, but we don't? This basically segues into my next point: namely how the meta is represented at these events. Given the number of nations being represented, you'll get the odd "rogue" deck as people call it. Gravekeeper's might very well make an appearance. Tech Genus Stun decks could see some play. If France favours such builds, they might be more common than usual. So, in a nutshell, proportions may be a little off for this event.
 
Of course, that's no reason to lose one's head, or make crazy decisions regarding one's side deck. The standard sides will remain prevalent: Electric Virus, Shadow-imprisoning Mirror, Soul Taker, D.D Crow, Dimensional Fissure, Macro Cosmos, and so forth. All I'm saying is that one can't treat it like a Nationals.

The other issue players often face is simple culture shock. In the majority of cases, hand gestures are sufficient to indicate to your opponent what your intentions are in a duel, but I'm not even referring to that. I'm just talking about the more intangible, less quantifiable factors of another culture's impressing on your own. It could be daunting for some. But for those with experience, it shouldn't be an issue. 
 
I will be very interested to see what tops the event. I am predicting it will be Chaos Dragons (though I do have some favourance for the deck, given that I topped with it in Nationals (decklist below). And I did in fact qualify for the Euros. Unfortunately, however, lack of funds prevents me from going. In any case, if Wind-Ups top, as they have done at WCQ North and South American events, we can almost guarantee spot for them on the next ban list in some shape or form. I would almost bet money on it, but apparently you can't do that in Yu-Gi-Oh (if you get the reference, then keep quiet--don't want to stir up a ruckus! :-p). Inzektors tend not to win big, so I don't expect them to do much. And finally Rabbit: from the Top 8 I expect to see maybe 4 or 5 Rabbit decks, and the rest being either Wind-Ups or Chaos Dragons. But hey, I honestly can't say with any degree of certainty what will happen.
 
 

So kudos to those who qualified, the very best of luck, and I look forward to hearing their many stories when they return!

No comments:

Post a Comment